Wednesday, May 26, 2010

American Idol

Over the last few years I have become somewhat disenchanted with American Idol. I use to avidly follow it, being it was my most direct connection to American culture when I had no other. I would wait so impatiently for each season to come around, and clear my entire life for the finales. I felt so connected to something I had left behind, and could be truly happy in those moments. Yet over the years my love waned…and I forgot something important.
As I was sitting on my couch today, I was flipping through the channels and saw that the American Idol finale was on, and figured I would watch a few minutes. I turned it on just as the tribute to Simon Cowell was starting. Giant glowing doors parted and Kelly Clarkson emerged, followed by Rueben Studdard, Jordin Sparks, Carey Underwood, and the subsequent idol winners. Behind them followed runner ups and other favorites. As I watched all those people on stage, roughly 50, I was reminded of something. Before Idol these people were just normal, they were as plain as you and me, but over time they became some of the most known names in music today. Their entire lives changed at the turn of a hat…because of this show. People were given a chance and found their dreams in the sitting in the palm of their hands.
I am not certain there is a greater symbol of the freedom Americans enjoy. We are known as the land of opportunity, now that doesn’t mean that fame and fortune falls into your lap the minute you come here. What it does mean is that you have a chance, you have a chance to be the a girl working on a farm in the middle of nowhere and a year later you could be named female country singer of the year. You could come from poor urban upbringing and 2 years later act alongside Beyonce in an Oscar winning film and then win an academy award for best supporting actress.
That’s what Idol is about, giving people that chance, that chance to truly embrace what it is to be an American. That given the hard work ethic, the talent, and a shimmer of luck, we can be who we wish. We are reminded that we live the land where “dreams really do come true.”
So call me a follower America, and next season I’ll be tuning in..and maybe tearing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment