Saturday, June 19, 2010

My life as a baker

Before I could sautee leeks in butter without burning them, cook dishes from far away lands, perfectly brown a chicken,or pick out the right tomatoes for pasta pomodoro, I baked. I love to bake, chocolate cake, bannana breads, snicker doodle cookies, apple pie, molten center chocolate cupcakes, anything I had time for. It's something I think many people should indulge in, there is not much that makes me happier than pulling a fresh loaf of fig bread out of an oven and handing it over to a friend and getting to see them enjoy every bite. I love cooking for people, I love making them happy with their favorite treats, I just love knowing I can give people something they want. So I have decided to share a few recipies, ones I did not create, I'm too afraid if I let out ones I did in fear of someone ripping them off before I can make a cookbook. So here is my first recipie, I got it from my grandmother and everyone I have ever made it for has loved it.

Fig Bread
Note: for this recipie you will need three large mixing bowls and a few whisks, its messy, takes a while to do, and you need to pay close attention to the recipe, but the end result is worth it.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
Note: the first three steps need to be done in separate bowls
1) Cream sugar eggs, and vegetable oil until well blended.
2) sift together flour and spices
3) Dissolve soda in butter milk
4) Add all three bowls together in one big one
5) Once mixed together add pecans and Fig preserves
6) Grease (very well) a bread pan (rectangle with high sides) and put in oven for 1 hr, at one hour mark poke a knife in the center of the pan and if it comes out clean its done, if not put it back in at 6 min intervals until its done.

Glaze
note: this goes over the top of the bread
Mix confectioners sugar with a very small amount of water, put fork in it to mix and when the sugar is white (not transparent) and it drips off the fork slowly use the fork to drizzle the glaze.


Enjoy and tell me how it goes or if you have questions...that is if I ever get more than one follower..thanks Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment